The right arm and torch of Lady Liberty was first put on display to American citizens at the Centennial Exposition of 1876 in Philadelphia, PA.
For 50 cents, visitors could climb the ladder to the balcony. The funds raised were put toward the construction of the 154-foot foundation and pedestal upon which the statue stands, facing the southeast, to greet immigrant ships entering the harbor from the Atlantic.
"A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome;"
-The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus — Robert Williams